Complete List of Services
Click on an item below to expand the material.
At the Holistic Dental Arts Center, we offer ceramic implants by one of the top periodontists in the country, Mona Monzavi DMD, MS.
Information about "Silver Amalgam" Fillings, Our Protocol for Removing Them, and Basics Regarding Their Replacement
At Holistic Dental Arts Center, we are a "mercury-safe" office, meaning we don't use mercury amalgam fillings. We believe that all teeth filled with mercury amalgam will eventually crack or break due to the metal composition expandng. This would then require the tooth to be extracted and/or gum surgery to remove or restore the tooth.
As our practice is mercury-safe, it means we don’t place mercury amalgam fillings. Also, we implement safety measures that protect both our patients and our staff. The following is some information about the metal element mercury, fillings that have mercury amalgamated within them, how we handle their removal and the rationale for their replacement.
- Mercury is the most poisonous, non-radioactive, naturally occurring substance on our planet.
- It is commonly referred to as "silver amalgam" fillings, however they are actually commonly composed of only 35% silver, 50% mercury, and the rest are other metals.
- Mercury vaporizes in incremental proportions from temperatures above 68° F. Our body temperatures are around 98.6 degrees.
- Countries such as Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Germany, and Austria have banned the use of mercury amalgams in pregnant women and children up to age 18.
More information about mercury fillings is in the book "The Poison in Your Teeth", by Dr. Tom McGuire.
Protocol for a patient desiring to have their mercury amalgam fillings removed/replaced:
- New patient examination, including an initial interview with the doctor.
- Many new patients are working with a health care provider and have a mercury detoxification program in place already. For those who don’t and would wish to develop one, we can recommend the most appropriate one based on your needs at the consultation appointment.
Filling removal procedures:
- Rubber dam is placed to keep filling debris from being swallowed. Isolite™ is also used sometimes. For more information, click here and/or view their introduction video.
- Fillings are kept cool with copious amounts of cold water during filling removal to minimize mercury vapor release.
- Fillings are "chunked" out, rather than being drilled away completely which results in very minute particles causing more vapor.
- High-volume evacuation is used to capture amalgam particles and mercury vapor.
- Oxygen masks for doctor's, assistant and nasal hood for patient during their removal.
- Clean up immediately after their removal - we remove and dispose of our gloves and rubber dam, and thoroughly rinse and vacuum the entire mouth for at least 10 seconds.
- Treatment room air is filtered to capture residual mercury vapor and other contaminants.
You may ask, "What material is best for their replacement?" The materials used can be influenced by several factors, such as the case of those used in manufacturing an airplane which needs to have proper form, structure, and function for successful, safe flights. The following information will assist you in understanding why this is so important. We see new patients daily who have varied concerns that prompt them to enter the Holistic Dental Arts Center family of patients, e.g., routine check-up, gum and decay problems, TMJ, head and neck pain, cosmetic concerns, teeth replacements – bridges, partials, root replacement implants, etc. as well as mercury amalgam filling removals. All who enroll begin a process that includes an initial interview with the doctor, a clinical oral examination and a complete series of radiographs. During the clinical examination, various oral health/disease parameters are investigated such as:
- Blood Pressure/heart rate recording
- Oral Cancer visual and palpation inspection
- Bite analysis – checking of functional parameters
- Tooth wear analysis
- Individual teeth inspection
- Periodontal (gum) measuring and recording bleeding areas
- Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing (for biocompatibility)
- Intra-oral camera photographs
About Quicksilver Scientific Testing
Exposure to metals in dental fillings and implants, joint prostheses, pacemakers, environmental pollutants and jewelry can lead to health problems in susceptible individuals as it can cause an allergic reaction. We utilize testing products from Quicksilver Scientific to measure an individual's hypersensitivity to numerous metals.
Quicksilver Scientific is a CLIA-certified laboratory that specializes in superior liposomal delivery systems, mercury testing, and blood metal testing for human health. They use state-of-the-art testing technology, including patented mercury speciation technology, to give the most accurate and reliable metal testing available today.
Introduction video to Quicksilver Scientific: https://www.youtube.com/v/f3rtrAbgHQs (0:33)
Mercury Speciation Testing Explained by Dr. Christopher Shade, Founder & CEO: https://www.youtube.com/v/UCxqsfyF7Y4 (6:19)
Detox Webinar video: https://www.youtube.com/v/FZHyHv8SGl0 (1:07:07)
Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing is a laboratory screening process used to help identify existing sensitivity problems to various chemical groups and families of compounds in an individual patient. This process is currently being implemented in the Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing Dental Test. After a patient's test has been completed, the patient's reactivity test results are compiled in a report. We are currently reporting on over 17,100 trade-named dental products and 96 chemical groups and families. We have also added a Orthopedic panel reporting on over 7,661 trade-named products for surgical applications.
In modern society we come in contact with many substances every day in the food we eat, the products we use and the treatments we receive.
Because each of us possesses a unique biochemistry, these substances effect each of us differently and in varying degrees. For some, the effects of certain substances (and their corrosion byproducts) can be toxic and hazardous, and may result in serious health problems. A substance which causes little or no reaction in one individual can prove harmful to another.
Since these effects may vary in each of us, it is vital that these factors be considered when choosing dental and other materials for use in the body, especially in patients with special or unique health concerns.
Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing provides dentists and physicians with extensive information about their patient’s individual sensitivities so that least offensive materials can be chosen and used in their treatments
Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing is not merely based upon the body's response to biomaterials themselves, but also upon response to corrosion byproducts of those materials. These byproducts are generated at various rates as the materials decompose or break down in the body. It is these products of decomposition that the body must deal with and which are most likely to cause untoward health effects and toxic conditions. The body produces systemic antibodies against challenging antigens and will maintain an immunologic record of the components or chemical families which have proven offensive and which can be observed by Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing.
Biocomp Labs Reactivity Testing video: https://www.youtube.com/v/RIM9GDq6UqM (31:39)